Name: Alexandre Jorge Fonseca
Birth Date: 11/07/1991
From: Oeiras, Portugal
Residence: Barcelona, Spain
Other places I've lived in: Oeiras, Portugal | Stockholm, Sweden | Doha, Qatar
- Midokura - August 2016 to Present
System Software Engineer
- Alto Data Analytics - January 2016 to July 2016
- Qatar Computing Research Institute - December 2014 to December 2015
- Telefónica Digital - January 2014 to July 2014
Master Thesis Intern (thesis)
- OpenRatio - October 2013 to June 2014
Software Engineer Intern (2013) / System Architect (2014)
- Universitat Politècnica de Catalunya - June 2013 to September 2013
Research Trainee in the CONFINE
- NAPE - IST - January 2012 to July 2012
Research Grant Holder
- Caixa Mágica - July 2011 to September 2011
Trainee Software Developer
- SystemsGroup (Junior Enterprise) - September 2009 to June 2010
Director of Information Systems
- Universitat Politècnica de Catalunya & KTH Royal Institute of Technology
MSc in Distributed Computing (2012-2014) - 9.9/10 (UPC) & 4.75/5 (KTH) & 9.5/10 (UPC thesis)
- Instituto Superior Técnico
BSc in Information Systems and Computer Engineering (2009 - 2012) - 19.42/20
- Colégio Marista de Carcavelos
Secondary School (until 2009) - 19.7/20
- Year 1, Semester 1 (UPC): Parallel Programming Models and Algorithms, System Performance Evaluation, Concurrent and Distributed Programming, Distributed and Networked Operating Systems, Security in Information Technology Systems.
- Year 1, Semester 2 (UPC): Cloud Computing, WLANs & Adhoc & Sensors, Supercomputer Architecture, Decentralized Systems, Communication Networks Optimization.
- Year 2, Semester 1 (KTH): Philosophy of Science, Advanced Topics in Distributed Systems, Implementation of Distributed Systems, Academic Writing.
- Year 1, Semester 1: Differential and Integral Calculus I, Digital Systems, Foundations of Programming, Linear Algebra, Theory of Computation.
- Year 1, Semester 2: Differential and Integral Calculus II, Computer Architecture, Discrete Mathematics, Introduction to Algorithms and Data Structures, Mechanics and Waves.
- Year 2, Semester 1: Complex Analysis and Differential Equations, Electromagnetism and Optics, Management, Object-oriented Programming, Operating Systems.
- Year 2, Semester 2: Probabilistic and Statistic, Systems and Signals, Compilers, Computer Graphics, Logic for Programming.
- Year 3, Semester 1: Artificial Intelligence, Computer Networks, Human-Computer Interaction, Databases, Independent Studies I.
- Year 3, Semester 2: Analysis and Synthesis of Algorithms, Distributed Systems, Modelling, Software Engineering, Independent Studies II.
Worth of Mention:
- 10 "Matrículas de Honor" (first class honours) during the first master year at Universitat Politècnica de Catalunya
- Merit Scholarship (Instituto Superior Técnico) - overall best grades of the Information Systems and Computer Engineering course:
- Third year (2011/2012 - 19.1 out of 20)
- Second year (2010/2011 - 19.55 out of 20)
- First year (2009/2010 - 19.6 out of 20)
- Scientific Merit Award (Colégio Marista de Carcavelos) - overall best grades of the 9th and 10th year (2005/2006 & 2006/2007)
- Cambridge Exams:
- IELTS - Score 8.5/9 (July 2011)
- Certificate of Advanced English - Grade A (June 2007)
- First Certificate of English - Grade A (June 2005)
- 3rd place on the National Robotics Festival under the category of Robot Football
- Programming languages & main libraries/tools:
- C and C++11 (SDL, wxWidgets, OpenGL, QT, CMake)
- Python (Numpy, Scipy, Boto, Paramiko, Flask, Django, Pelican, Selenium)
- Java (Java EE, Netty, Koloboke, Maven, Gradle)
- HTML 5, CSS (Grid, Responsive, Bootstrap, LESS, SASS)
- PHP (Frameworks: Laravel | CMS: Drupal, Wordpress)
- VB.NET, C#.
- SQL, Erlang, Scheme, CLisp, Prolog, Assembly
- Mobile development:
- Relational: MySQL/MariaDB, PostgreSQL, SQLite
- NoSQL: Cassandra, CouchDB, CouchBase, MongoDB, DynamoDB
- Distributed Systems & Cloud Computing & Big data:
- OpenMPI, OpenMP
- Hadoop YARN, MapReduce, Giraph, Pig
- Amazon AWS (mainly EC2, S3, EMR, ELB, DynamoDB), Heroku
- Server Administration/DevOps:
- Configuration from scratch of Linux servers with software such as LAMP, nginx, iptables, fail2ban, dovecot, postfix, ssh, ftp, ssl management.
- Setting up Continuous Integration (CI) clusters with Jenkins.
- Configuration management/Automation: SaltStack, Fabric
- Operating Systems & distributions:
- Windows 7, 8, 10 (main)
- Linux: Arch Linux (main), Ubuntu, RHEL
- Control Versioning Systems: Svn, Git, Mercurial
- Office suites
- LaTeX (documents, presentations with Beamer and graphics with TikZ)
- Photoshop/GIMP, Inkscape